Below is a paper I received a 100% on. My instructor said I did a fairly good job incorporating techniques from our textbook "Teach Like A Champion!" in my paper! 

Here are the assignment instructions. The assignment doesn't make much sense without defining the context.

EDUC 2010 Classroom Management Paper

What will your classroom management practices be?

Draft the basic expectations you'd like to implement in your classroom for at least one of the following situations.  Consider the grade level and the subject matter of your dream teaching job.

Select one of the following:

1. What would be your suggested routine to quiet a class and get students' attention?  How will you enforce this routine?
  2. What would be your suggested routine to dismiss class? How will you enforce this routine?
  3. What would be your suggested routine for students to ask you questions? How will you enforce this routine?
  4. What would be your suggested routine for your classroom to quiet a class? How will you enforce this routine?
  5. What would be your suggested routine to end a class? How will you enforce this routine?
  6. What would be your suggested routine to collect student work? How will you enforce this routine?
  7. What would be your suggested routine for involving students in their learning? How will you enforce this routine?

Consider the following:

• How should the students treat each other in your classroom?
  • How will the students interact with you, as the teacher?
  • How should students show appreciate each other (celebrate successes)?
  • How will the students know your expectations?
  • What are the limits to student exploration in your classroom?
  • How should the classroom be organized?
  • What are the consequences for "breaking" the rules?
  • What sends a student to the principal's office?

This paper should be no more than 3 pages in length.

Upload this assignment in UTC Learn.

Emma Allyn

EDUC-2010

Dr. Adsit

2/10/2018

Classroom Management Paper

In my ideal teaching job, I would be the chorus director for the high school I become employed at. My students would be from grades 9-12. This position requires a lot of self-discipline to meet the goal of teaching students to read and perform music. Therefore, rehearsal and instructive time must be used efficiently and adequately balanced. This can be a tricky and you have to make sure you are involving all students in learning about the subject. I feel like it’s a common mistake for high school directors to let one strong voice from each section take the lead. This doesn’t involve all students in learning, therefore you have to make it clear that all students have to participate in the music. Some methods I would use to ensure of this in my classroom would be “Do Now” (technique 20, Lemov) and “Do It Again” (technique 50, Lemov). It is important to start every day off with vocal warm-ups, which is why the “Do Now” technique would be effective. We would use vocal warm-ups each day that show results in getting the students’ voices ready and to practice proper singing techniques. If all the students are engaged and warmed-up during this activity at the beginning of every class, it will encourage them to participate throughout the rest of rehearsal. “Do It Again” should be used when student(s) don’t understand a certain vocal technique or rhythmic passage, showing them the correct way and having them practice it several times until they get it. This is a great way to have them learn because when they revisit the issue, they will do what they have practiced by muscle memory.

In my classroom, my students will respect each other. The students will be mindful of each other’s feelings and encourage each other in their endeavors together. A choir that doesn’t work well together can’t learn or perform well together. I will reward those who exhibit respect and kindness among the class so that the other students will choose to act the same way. I will be seen as the authority figure of the classroom and if my students aren’t treating each other the way I expect them to, I will warn them of the consequences.

The students should treat me with respect. I will try to appear as inviting as I can while remaining an authority figure and a professional. I don’t want to come off so frightening that they feel that they can’t ask me a question, but I also don’t want to let the feel as if they can overstep their boundaries in the classroom.

I believe it’s good to show appreciation and celebrate successes together as a class. One of my favorite chorus professors will ask all of her students at the beginning of every class if there’s any exciting news within the group: students will happily share about their new job, their honors’ thesis being approved, etc. She is very strict in rehearsal, but quick to help students celebrate each other. I think I will choose to run my course the same way. Phrases such as, “Frankie volunteered to bring staff paper to class to help the class. Everyone say thank you!” go a long way in showing appreciation for those who help out.

I am hoping to be very clear in my expectations on the first few weeks of class, so that no surprises come for the students later in my class.  I will tell the students the first day I expect them to have a binder to keep their music in, a pencil always ready to make notes, and to make satisfactory progress during the course. I will print a list of materials to have in class and as well as a list of goals and expectations for the class to be given to each student. Hopefully, this will not leave much room for surprises.

Students should be willing to explore their ranges in a chorus setting and should feel willing to ask the teacher for opinions and guidance vocally. I will encourage students to look up aspects of music they are curious about (ex. Music theory questions, composers, voice types, techniques, etc.) and come to me with questions. I think the true limits to student exploration end when they stop benefitting the individual singer or chorus as a group.

An important part of running a high school chorus’ class room is seating charts. The chart will be organized by voice parts. I will range check them on day one to give the chorus some balance. Girls in the front row (soprano to alto) and boys in the back row (tenor to bass). The chairs need to be placed at an arch around a piano or keyboard, or at least near one for maximal rehearsal opportunities. The classroom may have music theory posters placed around the room for reference. I will expect all the students to be accountable for their own required materials.

When it comes to punishment for “Breaking the rules,” I will have already given the student a warning due to their behavior. If the student keeps up the act; for example, I will either ask the student to sit out of the rehearsal. However, it depends on the student. For some students, sitting out rehearsal might not feel like a consequence to them. I think the action will best explain the action of the student, as well. Were they talking during rehearsal? Did they disrespect another student? The action can often help decide the consequence.

If a student has been disruptive or disrespectful the entire week and has failed to comply after several warnings or disciplinary acts. To me, the principal’s office is a last resort for a student who refuses to behave and/or for awful behavior. I would try to fix the issue myself, first, then allow for the authority above me to step in.