Evidence of Learning

Published on Oct 25, 2015 at 09:10 PM UTC

Learning Outcome: Quantitative Literacy

Reflection:

From grade school to the time I was in my last year of high school, I was always exceptionally bad at math. While other kids seemed to be ahead of me in this subject, it seemed like I was always two grade levels behind them. During my senior year, I was put in Algebra 2 while it seemed to me like every other 12th grader had moved on to some god-forsaken subject (which I hope to never have to take) like pre-calculus or trigonometry. It was a class full of 10th graders with probably only two other seniors. The very idea that someone could major in math totally blows my mind. I was fairly good at every other subject aside from math all throughout my academic life, even science, until one day they decided to throw some math equations into that subject -- which made my Chemistry grade drop drastically from an A to a C. It was just a constant headache for me.

Even though I can say I've had a less than stellar experience with mathematics, I can say that I've found that the challenge of learning this subject has given me more brain power and endurance to take on large amounts of work. I believe mathematics is taught because it's the ultimate problem solving tool. 

As a music major, during my first two years of college, I only have to take one math class, which I am doing this fall semester of my freshman year. I'm taking an Intro to Statistics class. This class is unlike any other math class I've ever taken. It is beyond interesting and I find it hard not to pay attention in class. Most mathematics always seemed useless to me because I couldn't see the purpose to learning a majority. In Algebra, all I could think was, "why do I need to know so many ways to find X?" Now I realize now it is has its own type of importance, but I couldn't see that back then. In statistics, I can see clearly how it relates to the real world through calculating probabilities and trying to make predictions. I believe learning this skill could help me in my everyday life amd future career.

Depending on the school I transfer to after two years, I may or may not have to take one additional math class. That math class will may than likely be Intro to College Algebra or another type of College Algebra class. My confidence in being able to pass this class is lacking, but my success in Statistics (a B is a success in my book) helps me to have more confidence in my mathematical abilities.